Thursday, July 21, 2011

Is Your Home A Healthy Home?

If you are like most people, you just naturally assume that if a product was on the market for sale, it was safe, right?  Wrong.  Actually, consumer products that we all use everyday are filled with toxic chemicals, many of them requiring special handling like well ventilated rooms, gloves, some even require eye protection.  These same chemicals when used in a chemical laboratory or in the workplace require even stronger measures.  Sometimes even a respirator.
An EPA report stated the "indoor air pollution is one of the nation's most important environmental problems."
Every year, five to ten million household poisonings are reported, the immediate result of accidental ingestion of common cleaning, pesticide, personal care or other common household products.  Many of these are fatal and many are children.
A 1985 EPA report concluded that the toxic chemicals in household cleaners are three times more likely to cause cancer than outdoor air pollution.  Also, a report  by the CPSC on chemicals commonly found in homes identified 150 that have been linked to allergies, birth defects,  cancer and psychological abnormalities.  All these chemicals seem to concentrate over time due to windows being sealed tight in the winter to keep in the heat and also in the summer to keep in the cool!

We need to educate ourselves.  There are safer alternatives now.  Start to eliminate the toxic environment from your house and daily life.  The website below will help to educate you more on how to do this.


Post a Comment